Gardening in the Fall and Winter?

Again, I don't know where you are but, I do know that where I am there is no chance on growing a vegetable garden in the winter , and highly unlikely in the fall. So I'm going to list some tips etc. below that I have learned on my search to have fresh vegetables in the winter.

Indoor Gardening
This is probably the best idea I've found for a cold winter climate like mine, below are some details that might help you:

  • Indoor plants thrive the best in natural sunlight, so place your planters etc. in or near windowsills, skylights, or in well-lit porches/entrance ways. 
  • You can grow an assortment of things (feel free to try anything, and let me know if there is something else I should add to this, because I'm always up for more fresh veggies)
    • Carrots
    • Herbs (like Basil, Mint, Chives Thyme and Parsley)
    • Lettuce
    • Spinach
    • Baby Greens
    • Beets
    • Certain varieties of turnips
    • Tomatoes
  • Make sure to often check on these and water them, if your going for baby greens, these can be harvested quite quickly. *Remember: Indoor gardens require the same amount of attention a regular garden need*
Winter Plants
Certain plants can survive in the winter, below is some information (please note that this is just information I've found, I've never actually done this, if anyone tries it and it works, please let me know, I will be trying these this fall hopefully)
  • Fall Rye and Winter Wheat: Most people don't have these in their gardens (I'm not planning to), but they do go dormant in the winter and are harvest-able in the early spring
  • Kale: It's one of the most famous winter greens. If you live in a cooler climate, you may have already passed the window for planting in this dark and nutritious veggie. Eat your kale all winter and into the spring. It will even survive under the snow
  • Mustard Greens: Fall is a great time to grow small greens for salads. Mustard greens are good as a tiny green in a salad mix. Sow with cress seeds for a peppery fall mix.
  • Lettuce: It may seem as though lettuce would be too delicate to withstand cold but it's a tricky one. While some lettuces dislike the fall and winter chill, others such as Rouge d'Hiver are marketed specifically as fall and winter lettuces. These greens appreciate the warmth of a cold frame or cloche. Since many of the other greens on our fall and winter list have a lot of flavour, these quieter greens are a good complement 
  • Mizuna: I don't know a lot about this plant, only that there are good in the fall as well.
  • Arugula:  Sow annual Rucola in the fall for winter greens, or sow the perennial Sylvetta to enjoy arugula all year round.
  • Potatoes: As soon as your summer crops are harvested, you can start tilling your potato patch, dig deep rows (eight to ten inches). Fill bottom of these rows with dead leaves or pine needles (about four to five inches of it). Now set the potato eyes or cuttings in the row on top of the dead vegetable matter. It works better if you use while spuds, particularly if you have some small ones that are really too little for good table use. Set the small potatoes a foot apart in the rows. Cover them up with another row of dead leaves, well-rotted sawdust or other organic mulch material. Then add necessary dirt to fill the row and even hill up the row slightly. This might not work in places with harsh winters. Give it a test (I know I will be!)

I'll be sure to update this page once I get going on my fall garden! Until next time, make the day count!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Bread

I've always loved making bread, but I've never really been good at it. I think it was a mixture of having old ingredients and having...