Slow Cooker Apple Crisp

Yes I know I am currently going crazy for my slow cooker, I just never realized all the wonderful things you can make with it!!

So a few weekends ago was Thanksgiving here in Canada, and I made this recipe as dessert, so that I would have time to focus more on the main course. I hosted a 14 person dinner this year and it was my first one! It was a success! Everyone was wanting another piece of this apple crisp! Made with my own apples right from my yard. I decided to make it in the slow cooker because right after I invited everyone over to Thanksgiving my oven died. So hear I was with no oven and 14 people wanting one of the largest meals of the year. Luckily my family lives within 10 minutes of me and I just used one of their ovens for the turkey. But everything else I made on the stove top or in the slow cooker. I'm posting a slow cooker stuffing right after this!


Slow Cooker Apple Crisp

I had previously harvested these, peeled them, cut them and froze them so they were all ready to go, this is a great step if you are picking them off of your trees and not buying them from the store. Then you can use them whenever you want to.

Cook Time: 3 1/2 Hours
Prep Time: approx 15mins

Ingredients

For the Apple Mixture
  • 8 medium sized apples, peeled, cored and cut into thick slices
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp white sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
For the Crisp Topping
  • 1 cup of oats
  • 3/4 cup white or whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes

Directions

  • Place the slices apples in the slow cooker. Add brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir. 
  • Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Stir until well combined. Using your fingertips, work the butter into the oat mixture until the mixture starts to clump together. Note: a potato masher works great to get the mixture started, but you will need to finish it off with your hands
  • Stir the apple mixture one more time and the spread apples out into an even layer. Sprinkle on the crisp topping
  • Cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 3 1/2 hours, until apples are soft. Turn off heat and let stand for at least 30 minutes and up to an hour before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Bread

I've always loved making bread, but I've never really been good at it. I think it was a mixture of having old ingredients and having...