So a few weekends ago was Thanksgiving here in Canada, and I made this recipe as dessert, so that I would have time to focus more on the main course. I hosted a 14 person dinner this year and it was my first one! It was a success! Everyone was wanting another piece of this apple crisp! Made with my own apples right from my yard. I decided to make it in the slow cooker because right after I invited everyone over to Thanksgiving my oven died. So hear I was with no oven and 14 people wanting one of the largest meals of the year. Luckily my family lives within 10 minutes of me and I just used one of their ovens for the turkey. But everything else I made on the stove top or in the slow cooker. I'm posting a slow cooker stuffing right after this!
Slow Cooker Apple Crisp
I had previously harvested these, peeled them, cut them and froze them so they were all ready to go, this is a great step if you are picking them off of your trees and not buying them from the store. Then you can use them whenever you want to.
Cook Time: 3 1/2 Hours
Prep Time: approx 15mins
For the Apple Mixture
- 8 medium sized apples, peeled, cored and cut into thick slices
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Crisp Topping
- 1 cup of oats
- 3/4 cup white or whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- Place the slices apples in the slow cooker. Add brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir.
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Stir until well combined. Using your fingertips, work the butter into the oat mixture until the mixture starts to clump together. Note: a potato masher works great to get the mixture started, but you will need to finish it off with your hands
- Stir the apple mixture one more time and the spread apples out into an even layer. Sprinkle on the crisp topping
- Cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 3 1/2 hours, until apples are soft. Turn off heat and let stand for at least 30 minutes and up to an hour before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.